Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

M_P90
Senior Contributor

Kudos to all of us

Hi all, 

I'm in a better space, still not 100% there, and feeling frustrated but I'm surviving. I've been reflecting on how much I have had to fight for mental health treatment lately. I experienced suicidality and I felt I could not keep myself safe. I reached out to our health services. I went through 2 full length assessments, telling my story & rehashing all my trauma to be "referred out" to services, including one with a 9 month wait list! I fought and I mean, fought, to get into an eating disorders outpatient service (had to threaten to go to the Minister of Health)! I think to survive mental illness is a feat in itself, but you add a system that doesn't actually help and that's a difficult journey. I'm not talking people with the odd bout of depression, I'm talking people like me with at least 4 diagnoses, years of therapy, scraping by on the scrap the govt throws at us from time to time. And no-one sends you a "get well" card when you have a breakdown. It's just something you hide. It's a crappy lot, and if you're also alive right now - honestly and with all the genuineness in the world, you need to congratulate yourself for fighting for you. I am trying to give myself the compassion and the recognition of how hard I have fought for what gains I have. It is tough and nobody tells you it's tough, and when you say "I'm not OK" there is going to be no real follow up or rescue mission to get you through. It is you fighting for you, fighting that you have worth and a place in the world. We really are strong as nails, and I hope you can stop and appreciate that about yourself for a second. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Kudos to all of us

Hi @M_P90 I completely agree with what you've said. This country is definitely not equipped to deal with the epidemic of serious and chronic mental illness nor help every one who struggles with it day after day, year after year. And because of this we need to fight for ourselves to get what help there is available. Indeed we are all strong and we are all resilient in the face of adversity, not just because of the mental illness itself, but the stigma and battles to be accepted in society as well. If my struggles have taught me anything it's that nobody is going to save me. Nobody is coming to give me a free pass at a better life. I have to get off my ass and save myself.  I have to work hard and battle every single day to find the help I need, to make the smart choices, to keep fighting the good fight. That's the only way forward.

Wishing you well my friend! xx

BB 🐰💙

@M_P90,

I am glad you are feeling better. 

If you ever need a get well card or any card, you should look for me as I have plenty of e-card or mailed card. Smiley Very Happy

get well soon card_ls.jpg

Also if you haven't met a good response when you said "I'm not ok", well you haven't met the right people. Not everyone can handle the depth of emotion, let alone severely traumatic event. Here's your go to person: www.ruok.org.au. They should be able to assist you in your darkest period.

I remembered seeing this ad on a train station platform depicting a picture of a dejected girl with text stating, "Please don't tell me to be strong." If we live in a challenging environment, we need to be brave and strong. However, if we live in a harmonious environment, we can afford to be soft and trusting towards others.

I have difficulties with health service too. When I was fainting multiple times, my gp sent me to the emergency department. I waited for 4 hours and as it was late night, I became hungry and asked if I could go out for a bite as the hospital canteen was closed. The admin person at the reception  angrily told me that other patients had waited for 5 hours and did not complain. I was not actually complaining, just letting them know I was planning on getting a bite and would be back on the queue soon as otherwise I might faint again. The admin person then gave me a meal box with sandwiches and juice, warning me not to tell anyone else in the waiting room as they did not have much food supply in the hospital. 

When I was called into the medical consultation room, the doctor placed gadgets on my tummy to check if it's ok. The results turned out to be good. I was happy to be let off home. Mind you, I had seizures and they checked on my tummy instead of my head. Smiley LOL But it was close to midnight and all I wanted was to get back home, so I never really cared either.

That was the first and last of my stint in the hospital emergency department. I was supposed to call an ambulance whenever I fainted, but as I had it 2-3 times a week, I never bothered with hospital. I would die of hunger if hospitalised long term. I chose to be close to my kitchen. 

I came across someone with seizure who proved to be more helpful as he shared his experiences with me. He assured me that while the illness involves multiple unconsciousness, it is not deadly. Previously I had thoughts that I might just one day not wake up from fainting too many times. 

Fast forward 4 years, I prevail without much help from the neurologist, psychologist and gp. My gp is lovely, while the other 2 are just not as easy too reach as they are always busy. But I just self educate, talk to those who care or share similar experiences, analyse my own illness pattern, make changes where necessary and trial many things to ease the symptoms. 

I am still on the road to recovery, but pretty much on my own without much involvement from healthcare professionals. I am currently down to 1 fainting episode a year which is a major improvement for me and fingers crossed, hoping for a full recovery soon. Smiley Very Happy

Somehow the card isn't showing up. Here's a take two.

get well soon card_ls.jpg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance