Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Calmblueocean
Senior Contributor

Knocked out on medication

Does anyone else worry about being too sedated on medication at night that they can't wake up if something happens during the night or being too uncoordinated and out of it to properly function in case of a danger or threat. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Knocked out on medication

@Calmblueocean Hi Calmblueocean I know what you mean. My meds knock meout completely until the morning BUT I do wake up as I am sometimes woken up by my kids during the night. Still I am not the most alert. Part of the joys of medication. If you are that groggy I would talk with your psychiatrist.

I have been on the same meds for ten years. Have tried playing around with the dosage but it always causes problems. I usually have someone else in the house and i also have my dog who is good for alerting me but with things like bushfires around i sort of worry that i won't hear anything. I guess the smoke alarms would go off wouldn't they?

@Calmblueocean Hmmmm .... again if I were you I would talk with your doc. For example I went to sleep really easily then I woke up when the neighbour's blasted cat went rumbling over my roof again grrrr. You should be able to wake up when you here things like that not be totally knocked out imho.

I have felt worried for myself or my family member.

@Calmblueocean

Today my MH worker gave me handouts about weather and crises.I think your fears are legit.

Take a few precautions but you cant be on high alert al the time.

By the sound of it people absolutely pound on your door so i should be able to wake up.  Some years ago i had a neighbour that i was good friends with and one night an aggressive ex boyfriend was causing problems for her in the middle of the night. Apparently she was yelling at me to call the cops. I slept through the whole incident and felt so bad because she could have been hurt. She lived less than ten meters away. I will have a chat to my doctor though. There are some things you can do like telstra knows i have a medical condition so i get priority on my landline if there are outages. I love living out in the digglies but sometimes you feel a bit isolated.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance