Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

SimpleAsThis
Senior Contributor

Insomnia is a B word...

So I find myself up at the 'witching hour'... I'll totally hate my sleep deprived self today, but I'm as lively as a moth near a lightbulb.

I used to smoke weed and then tried herbal capsules, quit weed and no other herb compares... Oh sweet Mary effin Jane. Lol

So I'm wondering if any of ya'll have other options I might be able to try? Without going to the pharmacy is a big thing for me, I heard Lavender Oil on your pillows should help but that's the only natural one I know....

HELP 🙂 Pretty please

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Insomnia is a B word...

Hi @SimpleAsThis

Not sleeping can be pretty rough. How long ago did you stop smoking mj? I ask because I'm wondering how far along you are out of detoxing? Insomnia is a pretty normal withdrawal symptom, how long it lasts can depend on a variety of factors (frequency and amount of use, general health etc).

Sometimes developing a sleep routine can help. Even though you might not be sleep to start off with, it can get your body into a cycle. So try getting up and going to bed at the same time. When you do go to bed, make sure that you are sleepy. If you find that you've not fallen asleep in 20 minutes, get out of bed and do a low stimulating activity like read a (non-stimulating) book, or writing on the Forums Smiley Wink then try going to bed once you feel tired again. The reason I suggest this is because it helps your brain associate your bed as a place of rest. In constrast, if up laying awake 'trying to sleep' in your bed, you mind can associate as a place of non-rest. On this note, try not to any other activities in bed other than sleep and intimacy. Also limit your caffeine intake, particularly later in the afternoon.

Hope this helps!

Hi SimpleAsThat,

Some suggestions to assist sleep.

• Develop a routine before bed time that signals to your brain it's time to sleep. This may include, Shower, clean teeth, read a book.
  • Get up at the same time each day.
  • Exercise has great benefits for assisting sleep, not to late in the day to give you time to wind down before bed.
  • Make sure your room is dark enough and don't leave TV or music playing.
  • Avoid drugs and alcohol as they disrupt sleep patterns. 
  • Avoid eating sugary sweets and drinks at night as they tend to stimulate our bodies and can make you restless.
  • Download a free App to assist sleep. There are many available through itunes and googleplay stores.I use "Simply Being".
  • Check out www.sleephealthfoundation.org.au

I hope this is helpful as sleep deprivation is very debilitating.

All the best,

Durango.

Hi @SimpleAsThis

Just though I would send you a quick note to see how you are tomight.For what it's worth, I am wishing you a good night's sleep tonight.

I thought you might like to take a look at this discussion about tips on getting to sleep. There is some resources in there as well.

I wonder if any of our other members might have some advice for you - @SCORPION@Loopy, @Former-Member

Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Hobbit.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance