Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

BPDSurvivor
Community Guide

Floatation Tanks - thoughts?

Anyone tried floatation therapy?

If you haven’t heard of it before, it’s essentially a heated salt-filled tank that you float in for about an hour.

Shows there’s lots of benefits for MH, aches, pains, stress etc.

B53A2789-A387-4568-95DE-8A43C46870D5.jpeg

Im keen to try, but also hesitant.

Does anyone have any experiences to share?

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Floatation Tanks - thoughts?

No experience to share @BPDSurvivor , but I hadn't known it was recommended for MH, so that's interesting...

I would imagine that if you find meditation emotionally uncomfortable, this would also be confronting?

Hi @BPDSurvivor 

I have mixed feelings. I feel that I would find it quite claustrophobic but can also see how it's relaxing.

Good luck with your quest to find out more. Would love to hear what you find out.

hanami 💮

My husband tried it out @BPDSurvivor and was really exhausted after and slept really well. He said the time went really quickly. I don't think I would be able to relax inside as I'd probably be claustrophobic and thinking too much but I've heard there are great benefits.

I have heard of one bad experience of the person having an allergic or similar type reaction to this which is why I never tried it - you don't know what the tank is filled with - whether there are contaminants etc.  Just research it carefully and only go ahead once you are satisfied with the information you have regarding this therapy @BPDSurvivor 

Hi @BPDSurvivor  Id really like to try this too as long as the lid was open. I don’t think I’d handle being closed in. Floating in salt water at a calm beach nearby has always been my go to when stressed, anxious and in turn, aching. Now that the water temp is too cold I would love this as a Winter alternative. 

Me too @Krishna , I'd like the lid open!

🤗

I’ve tried this. Was gifted a voucher for Christmas. It wasn’t so much a tank with a lid, but rather a very shallow square pool- but I have seen the ones with the lid and don’t think I’d like that one. You could have the lights on or off. And music playing the whole time or just 10mins before your time was up- I had it on the full time. I have fibromyalgia, so get a lot of aches. Ive only gone once so hard to tell if it would have any benefits but I did feel relaxed afterwards. The time went rather quick but I find it hard to…. Relax…. Meditate, so it was hard to just float there. 

@BPDSurvivor one of my besties does float tanks regularly. She finds it way more relaxing than meditation. When I asked her about it, this is what she said

• You can have the lid and lights on or off (I think @Bow mentioned this)
  • it can be good for sensory deprivation if you get overstimulated very easily
  • You can stop anytime if it feels uncomfortable

Knowing that you can control different parts of it made me feel a lot better about trying it out. 

Keep us posted if you try it out!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance