Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Finding a therapist

So I've decided I need to bite the bullet and get a therapist and I was wondering how other people went about doing it and how they decided who to see and what kind of therapy to go for?

I want to see someone about romatic relationships and having a family. I percieve myself as a 'broken' person and I don't want to pass this onto my kids, (if I am ever lucky enough to have some.) But I also don't want my current psychiatrist to know about it, I want it to be private, I'm embarressed and ashamed about this and I don't want her to know. I've tried psychologists in the past, but all I've ever been offered was CBT (useless) and EMDR (really helpful) and they didn't really seem to understand me, or once my episode had lifted said I was cured and I didn't feel I was allowed to bring up my relationship issues. 

How did you find your therapist? How did you know if they were a good fit or not? How did you know what kind of therapy was right for you? How do you manage costs? (Does anyone see a psychiatrist for therapy?)

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Finding a therapist

@Former-Member. I found my current psychologist via my best friend. She had seen him and recommended I see him.
How did I know he was good. Two main things - one - he listened to what I said and repeated it back to me - to make sure he understood me correctly. So important.
Second - he asked really stupid questions - that I thought had nothing to do with my issues - but they always were - & by asking these questions that way - it was less confrontational for me . So I could get to my 'light bulb' moment easier. If he was the type to ask a question straight - I'd probably have an answer ready to give him (1 that I would give to other people) - but not my true - honest answer.
Ring around. Interview the therapist on the phone. Explain clearly what issues you want help with and ask him/her what experience he/she has in that area.
All the best to you. And well done for wanting to work on an important issue in your life

Re: Finding a therapist

Hi @Former-Member
Like @utopia I grilled the psychologist about his credentials in relation to bipolar and also about his attitude towards an holistic approach in his style.
I didn't know anything about him prior to this. In fact I had phoned to make an appointment with someone else but they were o/s at the time.
I've ended up with an absolute treasure! There’s no way I can get away without answering his questions honestly. Each time I've tried to answer with lots of words that really don't answer anything he sits there nodding his head and when I finally stop he then tells me that my answer was very imaginative and then asks me for the real answer.

In addition he insists on seeing me when I'm well. As he says, by knowing the well person he can more readily assess how unwell I can become. From the first appointment I felt comfortable with this bloke and had respect for him.

Start looking and if the 1st 2nd or 3rd one isn't right for you then find another one. It really is worth the effort involved.

Hugzzz 🎶 💕
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance