Skip to main content
Crisis Support
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.


Have an account?

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

New Contributor

Finding a psychologist

Our daughter was diagnosed with an eating disorder/bipolar a few years ago. She has recently been unstable and we are considering a psychologist that can run a group session with our daughter to help us work through some issues. What is the best way to find a psychologist? As carers, are we entitled to any subsidised sessions? Any recommendations for a psychologist on the Sunshine Coast that could help us out. 


Re: Finding a psychologist

Hey @Mum09 thanks heaps for posting, and well done on reaching out here to engage in some further insight to support your daughter's mental health.


Firstly I would recommend searching for a practitioner on PACFA, APS or ACA (it's a database which will have local therapist's and psych's in your area Smiley Happy) Also definitely get in touch with the team at Carer's Australia and see if there's any entitlement's you can access. It's definitely a case by case thing but I am sure they will have a lot of useful info!


How are you feeling about the process at the moment?


Re: Finding a psychologist

 Hi @Mum09

Your GP can do a mental health assessment which enables you up to ten Medicare rebateable sessions a year.  Some psychologists bulk bill with this plan. 


Your daughter's treatment and care team may be aware of what is available locally for you.


The Carer Gateway (link following) is another spot where you can search for services. They often give a lot of options but you can narrow search.  Government funded organisations usually offer free services. I have been to educational sessions at Wellways that I found very helpful.,4567/social/mental?funding_source...

For urgent assistance, call: