Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Medusa13
Contributor

EOI - Advised to connect with a confidante

Hi everyone, I've started reaching out more and more to take care of myself and would like to connect with someone that I can identify with (& vice versa) to get to know and have as a solid pillar of support and strength.
I'm located in northern NSW, have 3 children, am in a same sex relationship and work in a stressful job. My eldest daughter is on the spectrum and my partner is diagnosed with MDD, self medicating with impulsive drug use.
Since coming to the realisation that I was becoming unwell from burnout, I've began making some small changes and hoping they have a big impact on my own mental health and lifestyle, hence initiating this thread.
My friend and and family know my situation, but don't understand it. They only see the behaviours my partner has and the impact it has on me, but don't understand living through illness with a loved one. A large part of that is because her story is not mine to tell, they have my best interest at heart, however I'm coming from a place where I've made a commitment to this relationship as long as I can be well myself. That is a boundary we both have and want.
I'd love to be able to meet up once a week or fortnight, even monthly and do social things together and also chat/text when in crisis.
I've linked into a separate local workshop for carers and also have an online support group.
I have felt my life spinning out of control of late and also realised i may need to step back in my career. I spend 99% of my time caring for people and it's my time to be well and care for myself.

I have faith this will reach who it needs too.

I hope this is an appropriate place to post this EOI!?

Thanks 🙏

2 REPLIES 2

Re: EOI - Advised to connect with a confidante

@Medusa13

Would you mind exposing what EOI means?

The sane forum is strictly incognito so meeting up will not be an option but having someone to tag (using the @ in front of name) will send email alert and you will be able to keep in touch via posts.

Re: EOI - Advised to connect with a confidante

Hi @Medusa13

Welcome to the sane forums 🙂

im very sorry @Former-Member is right, these are anonymous forums set up so that people can freely share feelings, experiences, life circumstance, MH issues, relationship issues etc without fear of recrimination, and share things that they may not have and may not be ready to tell anyone in their everyday life. for further explanation the community guidelines are here  and this may help you get started and know how to navigate around

However, these are also the perfect place to connect, give and recieve support for all of the things that you listed from talking about your struggles and finding people in similar situations to doing 'virtual' social things like friday feast where people 'meet' up and share favorite foods and the weeks happenings

I hope you feel comfortable looking around and adding things anywhere you want to

'see' you around 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance