Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Scream58
Senior Contributor

Do nothing day.

I have a Psychologist appointment tomorrow which means three hours of driving so today is do nothing day to conserve energy for the trip. It takes me a day before and at least a day or two after each trip to recover enough to do anything. I hate this fatigue! 

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Do nothing day.

Is this chronic fatigue @Scream58? I had a complete physical breakdown several decades ago and had to expend my energy reserves for the laborious task of breathing. It was horrific. Took me many years to level out and I still exhaust from excessive stress. To be honest, I can even exhaust from extended periods of happiness or having to make big decisions. It's all tied into emotions which were severely overwrought from stress prior to my collapse.

Having to travel for 3 hours for a doctor's appointment must be dreadful. I fully understand how you have to build up your reserves of energy in preparation and then afterwards in recovery. I hope your consultation goes well. Certainly a day out, isn't it?

@Historylover I had a stroke in the last week of November  2021. The fatigue has been getting progressively worse since then. My GP says it is bordering on Chronic now. I usually make it an overnight trip and stay with one of my sons but with COVID running rampant through the schools and my grandkids all being school age I'm scared to spend time with them. One of my grandkids has just recovered from it. 

Sorry for your health problems @Scream58. I understand the difficulties of coping with exhaustion while trying to function. Take good care of your self in recovery.

You might want to consider going remote. I have most of my sessions over the phone these days. But that's also because I'm so far along the avoidant spectrum that I tend to be a bit free-er without being face to face. Kind of like in the good old days when they plonked you on a couch so you can talk to the ceiling. Depends on how you feel about faces, really.

@wellwellwellnez I've only had three sessions so far. We have discussed phone sessions down the track but we haven't really touched on the tough stuff yet.

Yeah. Fair enough @Scream58  and it does depend on your own feelings. I'm learning how some people get essential stuff out of face to face and others can take or leave it.

Fatigue really sucks, @Scream58  😞

Good luck with the long drive and the psych appt today...

@NatureLover first leg done. Waiting for the therapist now. Anxiety is really bad today. I was going to try and get a haircut but I think I'll be skipping that.

Supermarket in necessary though. Pet food stores are running low.

I can relate to that! I have something on one day & am wiped out the next.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance