Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Paperdaisy
Peer Support Worker

Distress Tolerance

We all experience emotions; they are important and a part of our survival. Given that there is a whole range of emotions, some we are going to be OK with and some we will find uncomfortable and difficult. I know I personally, have difficulty with sadness and fear in myself and my family and I have in the past tried to avoid or takeaway these feelings. This can be referred to as ‘distress intolerance’.

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 10.06.45 am.png

Distress intolerance

What we mean by distress intolerance is an internal belief about the inability to fully experience unpleasant, aversive, or uncomfortable emotions, accompanied by a desperate need to escape those uncomfortable emotions. There are 3 clusters of negative emotions being ‘the sad’, ‘the mad’ and ‘the scared’. The reaction to these negative feelings might be “I can’t face”, “can’t tolerate”, “can’t handle” this. This intolerance can breed other problems and often make the situation worse. Our fear and avoidance of the distress magnifies the distress.

What negative emotions do you find difficult to deal with? 🤔

Seeing emotions differently

The first step to accepting distress is to start seeing your feelings and emotional experiences in a new light. Negative emotions are a part of being human and they are useful to us. Fear is helpful when it kicks in at appropriate times, like when there is a real threat to our safety. Similarly, anger is a helpful emotion to have. Having anger means we don’t put up with bad treatment or allow harm to other people. It drives us to change things for the better. Sadness is meaningful because it usually means we have lost something that was important to us. If we didn’t have sadness, it would mean we didn’t appreciate or value the things we had, and we weren’t interested in or connected to our lives or other people. So, sadness inadvertently helps us to live a fulfilling life.

Another way to cope is to see emotions as not being permanent. They are like a wave, at times high and intense and at other times soft and passing. Perhaps you can learn to let the wave wash over you? 🌊

Acceptance

First, let’s consider what the effect is of urgently needing to get rid of your distress? For me, it just ends up making the distress worse. The alternative to urgently trying to rid yourself of distress, may well be accepting the distress. Accepting distress is not about having to like emotional discomfort. Instead, accepting distress is about seeing the negative emotion for what it is, and changing how you pay attention to the emotion. Reacting in an accepting way towards your emotion, often changes the effect the emotion has on you. Approaching emotions in a mindful way, without judgement can change the experience. Observe the wave and make space for the feelings until they pass.There is no right or wrong, but below are some steps that might be useful.

Watch or Observe

Watching or observing your emotions, paying attention like a third person to whatever you are feeling in the present moment can be helpful. Observing as the intensity might increase, hold its course, decrease, or shift and evolve into a different feeling. Regardless of what the emotion is doing, you are not your emotions, you are the observer.

Label or Describe

When being the watcher of your emotions you might find it helpful to label or describe to yourself what you are experiencing.  For example “...there is fear, I can feel it in the fast beating of my heart”.

Curious and Non-judgemental

Use language that has a sense of curiosity and non- judgement. The fear is not right or wrong, it is what it is.

Imagery

The use of imagery can often be helpful in allowing yourself to foster this detached observer perspective. Different images work for different people. Some people like the image of an ocean wave as we have already discussed. You could think of a train going through a tunnel and coming out the other side. Another example is clouds passing in the sky. Sometimes I like to imagine a room with and entry door and an exit door- I go in one side and close the door, sometimes I hang around inside for a while, then I go out the other side and close the door behind me.

Does anyone use imagery? What works for you? 🌊

Once you feel you have fully watched and experienced the negative emotion, feeling it come to its natural end. It could be useful to engage your five senses (Sight, sound, smell, taste, touch) and come back to the present moment. It helps to anchor yourself to something- for me it’s touch and I really focus in on that feeling. It can also be helpful to write yourself a mindful script to have on hand when an uncomfortable emotion strikes.

Example of a mindful script 🌸

Recognise & Allow Emotion:

I’m feeling...[angry/sad/scared]. It is OK, I can allow myself to have this feeling...I can make space for it...I don’t have to be afraid of it or try to get rid of it.

Watch Emotion:

I can just watch this feeling and see what it does, I don’t have to get caught up in it. Where do I notice the emotion in my body? This is just an emotion, I have emotions cause I’m human. It’s just a feeling to be felt, nothing more and nothing less.
I am not my emotions, I am the watcher of my emotions. The feeling is just like a wave going up and down. 

Be Present:

I will turn my attention back to the task I am doing now ...noticing what I can feel the ground beneath my feet.

I hope this is helpful and please feel free to share your thoughts and tips for dealing with distress 💝

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Distress Tolerance

That is one of the emotion wheels I appreciate @Paperdaisy it has enough complexity to approach the depth of the issue.

I probably have a high distress tolerance, and working on the more pleasant emotions.

Thanks @Appleblossom taken from @cloudcore 's fantastic chat about all the emotions. Do you have any tools/resources you're using for working on the pleasant emotions? Thanks for sharing 😊

Great article, thank you!

Hi @Paperdaisy 

Thanks very much for starting a discussion thread on distress intolerance! This is something that I really struggle with and I’ve been told by several mental health professionals that my BPD has something to do with it- probably a fair bit if I’m totally honest- as I tend to feel emotions very deeply. I really like the emotion wheel and how the basic emotions can reveal so many other different feelings so thanks very much for sharing it!

I like how you say that emotions can be defined as images like waves on the ocean which is something I can relate to very well. When I’m angry, I also see myself as a fire which starts off slowly and gradually builds up heat and strength until it is a full blown fire that is out of control and one that I have trouble getting back under control. I will admit that this is often where self harm comes into play as not only do I feel angry and want to try and regain control of the situation, I try and use it as a release of the negative emotion. This also happens to me when I’m scared or anxious and feel out of control of a situation or event which I know isn’t very helpful or positive in any way, shape or form. I’m trying to work with my psychologist on building up new skills and strategies to take on board and replace the bad strategies including my tendencies to try and hide away and sleep the emotion out or avoid the bad negative feelings, with positive and more helpful ones. 
Speaking of resources, I came across a useful resource from the Centre for Clinical Interventions with a set of modules based on Tolerating Distress under their Facing Your Feelings area of the website.

www.cci.health.gov.au  

I’ve downloaded the 4 modules which are free self help resources and am slowly working through them. I just thought this resource might help other forum members who are interested in learning more about this important topic. There are also other topics from this organisation based in Western Australia like things focusing on depression, anxiety, sleep and other things related to mental health that others may be interested in exploring. 

Once again, thanks for posting this discussion thread as I’ve really enjoyed reading about the topic. I look forward to reading more posts from other forumites on the topic.

Take care!

Judi9877☺️💐🌈

This is such an interesting topic @Paperdaisy, thank you so much for creating this space for more discussion and learning. I know I can struggle to feel big feelings, definitely! For me, I find what I struggle with most is when the feelings are really intense or extreme, such as if I've bottled them up for too long and the cap comes off, or the dam bursts so to speak. This happens most often with overwhelming anxiety or fear. 

As you can possibly tell just from that explanation, I use imagery a lot! 😊 Another one that's helpful for me in terms of taking a step back to more mindfully observe emotions I'm experiencing is leaves on a stream 🍃. So I picture a stream with leaves on it that float by. On the leaves, I might put a thought, or in this case, an emotion that's coming up for me on the leaf and watch it pass by. If the thought/emotion comes up again, I just put it down on another leaf and watch it float away. It can be super tricky to do in moments where emotions might be bigger, but good for encouraging that observer role PaperDaisy was talking about.  

@Judi9877, I absolutely love your imagery with fire too. It hadn't occurred to me before, but it makes so much sense in terms of anger. Also how it can become uncontrollable and be super difficult, or at times seemingly impossible to rein back in. I'm really curious if you have any particular strategies to either maintain or regain that sense of control? 

Thank you @Judi9877 for sharing your experience. I like your imagery of the fire. I tend to think of my anger as big boulders stacking on top of each-other until they come to life like a huge rock monster and then it smashes to bits and becomes small again! It's a process hey, I'm also still working through how to face my emotions as I tend to be quite avoidant at times. Thank you for sharing that resource, I'll take a look. 

I'm glad to hear you are working with a psychologist as I think it's important to have professionals to guide us through the heavy stuff, for me anyway. 

Take care lovely 💝

This is probably similar

https://accessiblepsychology.com/best-resources/section-one/facing-your-feelings/ 

we also used to talk about the 'naive enquirer' in psychodrama in the 1990s ...

ach! ... where to trace ideas from ... big job.

I am using "fire in the belly" as a concept for me to keep my strength or my my mamma pants on ... in certain circumstances ... as in not to collapse or submit or yield ... too quickly ...

This is from a Q&A website ... answered by a good therapist.... seemed relevant.

What do therapists do when they’re feeling down?

Personally, I never hurry to ‘do’ anything about feeling down.

Feeling down is a perfectly natural part of human emotional life, and of human existence.

If I do notice that feeling down is persistent, I would be careful to listen to what my psyche my be attempting to communicate to me. Have I not been aware of an on-going sense of disillusionment, frustration, or disappointment? Have I not recognised that I may have been lacking validation, support, or appreciation, from others? Have I been consistently giving more that I receive? Have some unmourned losses, or unexpressed anger, were swept under the carpet, and keeping them away from my consciousness is taxing my energy reserves?…

I find it that the wisest thing to do is never to just do away with feeling down.

these are great reminders- thanks for sharing

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance