Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: DO CARERS HAVE A RIGHT TO BE HAPPY

Hi...my dilemma is probably better put as...how can I be happy whilst I know my daughter is so so unhappy?

Hi, I've just found this forum...and I wonder how things are today with your daughter....and I hope things are going well. You put your post exactly as I had felt...just how is it possible to be happy...enough...whilst your child is so so unhappy and you're starting perhaps to grapple more with the very real possibility that she will end up successfully killing herself

@Happier wrote:
I know that carers have a right to be happy, but can anyone help me out with how to keep happy enough whilst your child is suicidal ? My daughter is regularly suicidal due to bipolar disorder.

Hi, I've just found this forum...and I wonder how things are today with your daughter....and I hope things are going well. You put your post exactly as I had felt...just how is it possible to be happy...enough...whilst your child is so so unhappy and you're starting perhaps to grapple more with the very real possibility that she will end up successfully killing herself

@Happier

It us sad when the one we love and care for is unhappy, there is grief and loss in mental illness. Finding our own joy as a carer in no way diminishes the empathy we have for the ones we love and our joy can be beneficial to our loved one.

Can I please be blunt and say that for myself that I could not place the responsibility my joy and wellbeing on the person I care for, he already struggles with what he feels is a too heavy burden for me and I would not want him to feel he is causing me to be miserable.

Understanding MI and the disorders that Mr Darcy has been diagnosed with was the first step for me, having a safety plan in place and feeling satisfied that I have done in a practical manner what needs to be done was another. Attending a Wellways carer education "building a future snapshot" was also beneficial. If you are in an Eastern state this might be available to you (and is free).
https://www.wellways.org/our-services/support-families-friends-and-carers

There have been a few websites that have helped:

http://mhr4c.com.au
This is a Qld site for carers - explains so many things that are helpful

http://www.bphope.com
This is a bipolar specific online resource

http://freshhope.us
This site helped me hold on to defiant hope, I found it after my husband attempted. It helped me understand that you can live well in spite of a mental health diagnosis. This is almost my motto and in time I am hopeful that Mr Darcy will too hold to this. Fresh Hope is a religious group that has tenets like Al Anon does - this is one of their caregiver tenets:

At times I also feel hopeless, letting my loved one’s actions and recovery define my happiness. Therefore, I choose to live with healthy emotional boundaries, and I choose my own joy despite the ups and downs of my loved one.

@Happier I hope that some of these resources will be of help to you.

Darcy

Oh darcy, I've just found my old responses that I never saw. Thanks for this response, I really liked the bipolar site and have sent it to lucy.

Thankyou..I have just found these old responses. I will contact a Carers group, and we do have a safety plan...but when she attempts it is sudden and without planning..and seemingly out of her control

Sorry I just found my old responses. Thankyou for your response, things are still difficult for lucy , she told me tonight about an attempt that landed her in hospital 2 weeks ago..she tries to protect me by not telling me about all of them, she lives in another state. I struggle with helplessness and try not to prepare myself for the worst if it happens..as I then suffer twice...and maybe it won't happen..but 2 attempts this year :((

Thanks, I've just found my old responses, sorry for the late reply. I am familiar with radical acceptance in my work but have not applied it to my situation. Thanks for that..I will think on it

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance