Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Christmas - practical tips & strategies to get through the silly season

Hi all,

It seems like the moment December 1 ticked over, up sprouted Christmas trees, elves and santa hats!

We thought we could create a bit of a resource thread for all of us to share practical tips to get through Christmas.

• Do you have a cooking tip or recipe to make things easier for those of us who have to host our whole family for Christmas dinner?

• Do you know a great service that can assist if a tough time pops up?

• Do you have your own strategies to manage if things get a bit too much?

We want this toolkit to be created by members, for members.

It will be a thread that you can look back on throughout the holiday season to get your own tips as well as giving them.

We would love for you all to share your wisdom.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Christmas - practical tips & strategies to get through the silly season

Hi All,

I love the idea of this post. I posted the following 'recipe' in the carers forum. I saw 'recipe' because it's so easy to make!! I actually don't need to share the ingredients, the picture says it all really

strawberries.jpg

Mine didn't look perfect to start with, but after a few trials, eventually (some) looked like this.

I thought I would post this because everyone loves it and it's so easy to make (ie: less stress on me!) I always volunteer to bring these to Christmas events (work, BBQs, Christmas day). Never gets old 🙂

Just a quick idea.
Spend this time with folk you love and who love you. Avoid time with people you don't like.
Take the stress away.
not always possible but try it if you can.
It's what I'll be doing.

Rick

I also plan to be on forum.
People I like
people who for some benighted reason appear to tolerate me.

R

-

-

My self survival strategy is a new one I only learned last year.  I tell everyone else what I am doing on Christmas day which is basically getting up when I feel like it, eating what ever I want and spending the day doing what ever I feel like!   If they don't like it then tough because I'm doing it again this year.  Last Christmas was a day of mental and physical recovery for me and I liked it 🙂  

@NikNik 

Hi Nik.

Just a quick thank you for your kind words since I joined up.

As regards strategies for managing stresses at Christmas. 

If all it goes pear shaped and I begin to go out of my tiny mind, I will try this.

I will wear my underpants on my head and sings tunes from that well known musical Oklahoma.

I will let you know how this pans out..............................

Warmest of regards

Rick

Aha, Captain Underpants strikes again! Captain Underpants is one of my favourite characters..good to see a fellow fan on the forum!
Me...I will be dreaming about napping and the art of the siesta.when the day is done I will contemplate drawing a cat who naps 🙂

@Rick

I just literally laughed out loud at your underpants / Oklahoma comment
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance