Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Caring for sisters with MI

@silhouette 

Relationship with Sis is OK - I ring her regularly but apparently she was stewing a bit as she misunderstood something I said recently, once I explained why I said what I did, she could see I had her interests at heart. I keep sending her funny texts as well as checking in ones so she knows I care. She has not mentioned being suicidal. 

Yes we have moved, we now live approx 4-5 hrs away from her. Keeping some distance was important to us (my family can be hard work).  Initially I had thought we would try and visit my family a weekend/ month, we might find that a bit much. Might see if we can go every 2-3 months (Dog boarding needs to be sorted, was a problem when we did visit). Family are mindful of Mr Darcy's needs and don't expect constant visits and it might be easier in one way if I visited by myself.  I would need to go for 4-5 days to make the bus trip worthwhile.

Relationship with Mr Darcy is thankfully not one sided (only when acute/unwell/in pain is he less than considerate).  He is very functional but has trouble understanding medical things and he does have some memory issues too.  I have been intentional about making friendships. I think that grief is a lonely thing and I had a lot of  that, but thankfully I had an understanding friend and we were good for each other. 

I struggled through Mr Darcy's crisis, not coping. I think once I faced the reality of our situation and worked on my own healing from it, things have been heaps better and I think it has helped me understand what is happening with Sis and I find with short visits that I don't get frustrated. 

@Former-Member, @silhouette , @nashy , @Lauz , @outlander 

@Jane5  @mambofish Heart

Former-Member
Not applicable

@JS1 

Come and meet some others who care for their sisters in different ways.

@silhouette  how are things with you?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance