Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Crowtiger1
New Contributor

Carer

Hi my first time writing something on this site. How do you when being a carer find time for yourself when the person you are caring for takes up most of the time at the moment.

6 REPLIES 6
StuF
Senior Contributor

Re: Carer

Hi @Crowtiger1 ,

Welcome.

Not to brush you or anything, but perhaps you might want to investigate here:

https://onedoor.saneforums.org/t5/Friends-Family-Carers-Forum/ct-p/carers-forum

Daisydreamer
Senior Contributor

Hi @Crowtiger1  and welcome to the SANE Forums. We hope you find this is a safe and supportive space, where you can meet others who understand what you are going through.

It's a really good question, and one we hear often here on the SANE Forums from other Carers who are also feeling like there isn't time for their wellbeing when caring for a loved one. I've moved your post across to the location @StuF to give other carers a chance to find your post- there are thousands of people here who have been through something similar, or are going through this with their loved ones too. 

One of our members @Shaz51 is an advocate for wellbeing for Carers and has made a few spaces and resources you might find handy - Coping Toolbox ( what is in yours to help you cope ) 

Do you feel comfortable to tell us a little bit more about you? How has caring for a loved one been a part of your life?

Look forward to hearing from you again soon

Shaz51
Community Guide

Hello and welcome @Crowtiger1 

Here for you 

Yes being a carer is sometimes hard to find the right balance and it is easy to forget ourselves 

It is so easy to fall into and it did take me time to do my own self care 

A couple of threads like Carers Hints and tips to Success to click on to and have a look 

And also Coping Toolbox ( what is in yours to help you cope ) 

And also 8 Dimensions of Wellness is good too 

@Crowtiger1 , what things do you like doing ??

@Daisydreamer , @Faith-and-Hope 

Hi and welcome to the forums @Crowtiger1  👋

Hello @Crowtiger1 

How are you going today xx 

@Crowtiger1  Always look after yourself first before looking after someone else. Working in collaboration and communication can be very helpful. It's okay to put yourself first. Have some boundaries. You can't help or fix everything all the time. You only live once. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance