Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Books that have changed our lives

Hi everyone!

We want you to get involved in SANE Australia's Book of the Year award.

Has a book on mental health made a difference to your life? SANE Australia wants to hear your suggestions for its Book of the Year.

If you've read a mental health-related book that's;

a) Australian

b) published in 2013-14

AND most importantly

c) impressed you with how it promoted understanding of mental illness and/or how people affected can lead a better life 

Then let us know in this discussion! (Nominations close at the end of September.)

(It will also give me a good reading list 🙂 )

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Books that have changed our lives

Have you read,

'Madness-a memoir' by Kate Richards?

Not only does it meet all the requirements you mention, but I think its amazing that she is a doctor working in research! This book really cycles her journey, and how she tries to find her own way and the impacts along the way. She's also a talented writer, so add it to your list 🙂

Re: Books that have changed our lives

There's a really good book called Secret Squirrel Business by Jenny Middlemiss.(Ruah Community Services 2012).

It's essentially a book that aims at empowering people with a mental illness, but I think it could easily be used by carers too - eg: managing psycholgical and physical health, handling friends and family, finding solutions to money, housing, work, etc

Hobbit

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance