Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Charliee
Casual Contributor

BPD??

For years I've been diagnosed with depression/anxiety. Following a few hospitalisations and recent appointments with psychiatrists they've suggested borderline personality disorder. A lot of the symptoms make a lot of sense and it feels like it fits, but also feels really scary. Any advice on how to deal with this?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: BPD??

hi @Charliee
i have BPD depression and anxiety amongst other things and like you it was scary to be diagnosed but it also made sense.
Is there something that is scareing you the most about it?
a dignosis doesnt define who you are

Ali11
Community Builder

Hey @Charliee,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's normal that things feel really scary at the moment but as @outlander mentioned a diagnosis does not have to define who you are. What supports do you have around you at the moment?

Charliee
Casual Contributor

I hadn’t ever heard of it before. I guess the personality disorder part of the name scares me. It seems like such a brutal name! The more I read though the more and more it clicks with me and it’s great to see that there’s lots of people who experience it as well. Thanks for your reply I really appreciate it

Charliee
Casual Contributor

Thank you. I have some really amazing friends. Family is a bit difficult as it was a bit of a traumatic upbringing and I spent a lot of time caring for my siblings so I don’t really have that relationship with my parents. I’m just worried about depending too much on them

your welcome @Charliee it can be quite daunting, i felt the same and wasnt to sure what to make of it either. like you though the more i read the more it clicked with me. try not to let the name scare you though. With BPD im not sure if theyve meantioned it to you but there is a therapy called DBT that is suppose to be quite effective in helping those with BPD (and those without as well)
its tough with limited supports as well, have you got any good professional support like psychologist? you meantioned a psychiatrist but i find them to be better at dealing with medications.
im glad youve got some amazing friends though even just to be around not always for support

hi @Charliee and @outlander 

my aunt told me I was borderline. It hit me really hard, it felt like a very nasty insult. I do make very strong & insecure attachments to people quickly, even thou I'm shy & introverted I try really hard to develop friendships & maintain friendships so I'm not lonely & isolated. I hate feeling abandoned, ignored or insulted, that triggers extreme rage & psychotic symptoms. It's great that you have friends @Charliee , that's a big strength to be able to maintain friendships - I have a tendency towards rage & bridge burning, making enemies out of friends if they insult me in the slightest way. I seem to have some traits of BPD but my psychologist & psychiatrist never gave me a diagnoses, I suffer badly from rage and nightmarish psychotic symptoms without medication. I have a strong history of childhood trauma so used to think I had CPTSD & tried treatment for that. I enjoy a better quality of life & better relationships on the right meds (that's just me, I respect that every individual is unique and medication is not everyone's cup of tea). I hope it helps a little to know you're not alone @Charliee welcome to the forums.

I'm going to try to hike today (get off my depressed butt & get some exercise) and tomorrow going to lunch with a new friend who I've worked really hard to develop a friendship with, so a bit nervous. What are you up to for the weekend?

Ali11
Community Builder

That's great that you have some amazing friends @Charliee. Regarding your parents, why do you think that you are being too dependent on them?  

Charliee
Casual Contributor

Sorry, I meant being too dependent on some of my friends because I don’t have a very close relationship with my parents. I worry that I’m a bit “too much” sometimes.
Charliee
Casual Contributor

I’m currently seeing a psychiatrist and a social worker who are both great. Im in the process of finding a psychologist. I’ve read a bit about DBT, do you have any experience with it or know anyone who has done it?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance