Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Change123
Senior Contributor

BPD AND MENOPAUSE

Hi Everyone

I'm currently going through menopause and the pysch and gp have told me that there is no doubt it impacts on mental health.  Lately I have found I'm going through many emotions within one day and not sure if this is because of it.  Especially as I have not had a period for about 5 months so far.

Just wondering what experiences others have had and what strategies or things you found have helped.  Last night I was extremely manic for no reason but also found I was getting lots of sweats so just wondering if this is connected?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: BPD AND MENOPAUSE

Hi @Change 123. Having 'been there, done that', with regard to menopause, all I can say is most of what you are experiencing, mood swings, hot flushes etc, are a normal part of this. I was informed that after 12 months of no menstruation, you can safely say you are entering menopause. With me, I would go 2 or 3 months, then menstruate, then nothing for 2 or 3 weeks, then menstruate. In that way, everyone is different. I was taking AD's too at the time, so the severe mood swings had little effect, although I did suffer blinding headaches. I did notice hot flushes, although, again, not enough to really affect me. If you are concerned, I suggest you visit either a gynaecologist (preferably female) or see your own G.P. You can get literature regarding menopause which can help, although sometimes you need to be a G.P yourself to interpret the message. If you suffer depression or any other mental health issue, menopause can exaggerate the symptoms. There are medications which do ease the symptoms of menopause, but I strongly advise you seek a medical opinion before taking anything. Natural over-the-counter remedies can help alleviate, but, again, your G.P is your best guide.

THANKS @pip

Yeah I tried those over the counter herbal ones didnt make much difference.  But yes I just think it does exaggerate my moods somewhat.  Yes I have spoken to my gp but I dont want to go the HR way as there is cancer in my family so dont want to take the chance.  As long as I know this is normal thats fine, I may try those herbal ones again as when I was taking them I was still having my periods so maybe now that I'm not it may help.  This is the 2nd time I haven't had periods for about 5 months.  I find when I do I dont have the symptoms but when they stop all goes crazy! The joys of being a woman.......

Smiley Happy

@Change123. As far as the HR situation goes, I would be hesitant as I was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in my right breast last year. I underwent an operation to remove the tumor, followed by 5 weeks of radiation. I was given the choice of hormone therapy, but after being advised of side-effects similar to menopausal symptoms, I opted against. My G.P years ago was slightly against the HR therapy for the reasons you've stated (I was too). If you find you are having severe flushes/mood swings etc. Ask about a referral to a gynaecologist as there might be an alternate solution. The mood swings/hot flushes/headaches etc, usually occur when the period ceases. It seems to happen when the period is due. If your period arrives, the mood swings/hot flushes etc, don't seem as bad. As you say womanhood and the problems attached. I guess you've realized you're in for about 10 years of 'bliss?' Take real good care of you and pamper you.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance