Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Dashkoo
New Contributor

Anxiety during pms

Hi,

I’ve been diagnosed with anxiety and PMDD and so far I’ve been able to reduce my anxiety symptoms with self care activities (journaling, reading, breathing exercises and exercising). But when I experience pms, Im more anxious than before. I start worrying more, overthinking and irritable. My regular self activities help a bit but when something triggers me I start getting very emotional. Does anyone have any coping strategies I can use during this period?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Anxiety during pms

Hi @Dashkoo ,

I've been in a similar place. I never knew what my body was doing so I was not prepared for it. Everything could be 'fine', then I'd suddenly panic, cry, clean compulsively, shop, become very anxious and then realise.... "Oh, my monthly friend is here"....

Years later, the dr put me on medication so I'd be more regular. I didn't want to stay on meds, so now I use a cycle tracker. It predicts my cycles so I am at least more prepared for the 'worst'. 

Rather than being anxious of what was going to happen, I'd put things in place such as going for walks, sleeping and eating well etc. This helped a lot because before, I'd be upset that I wasn't sleeping, or my appetite was changing, or I'd be very agitated.... now that I know WHY, it curbs the anxiety a lot.

Hope I'm making sense.....

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance