Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

LouisianaM
New Contributor

Activities you can do instead of acting out

Hello! Long time BPD patient here, new to this forum. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions of healthy/no -harmful things you can do when you feel like acting out? I get very restless and find it hard to focus, and want to to silly/extreme things which I know are not beneficial in the long run. I try to exercise when I feel like this but it's not enough at the moment. Very keen for any advice/suggestions! 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Activities you can do instead of acting out

Hey @LouisianaM, welcome to the forums! 😊This is a great question you've raised, and hopefully it can generate some good discussion which I'm sure others will find valuable too.

While I personally don't have lived experience of BPD (& therefore BPD-specific coping strategies), to at least start us off I found this resource which has a bunch of ideas you might find helpful.

@BPDSurvivor you might have some ideas on things to try? And considering I'm quite new to the forums myself, you might also have a better idea of other forums members who have BPD to tag who might like to add to this thread as well Heart

girasole 🌻

Hi @LouisianaM . Welcome to the forums☺️👋. I'm so glad you found the need to reach out and ask for some support. I also have BPD as one of my mental health conditions so I have an idea of what you are going through.
For me, the following things help:

- knitting and doing craft activities help soothe my feelings as well as often

-writing the way I'm feeling down in a journal

- expressing the thoughts and feelings creatively through some form of drawing (I'm no artist but the feelings of pencils, crayons and textas help me as I love colours)

- going on social media like my Facebook page and seeing what others are up to without posting anything. Instagram and Pinterest are also good sites for me to explore as well to see what ideas I can get.

- Getting outdoors to a park or beach and listening to nature is fun and gives me a chance to take photos on my phone.

I hope these ideas are helpful to you. I'll also tag @BPDSurvivor in here as well as a thread post on BPD where other forum members talk about this sort of thing called Raising Awareness of BPD - Flipping the Script that you might find interesting to explore. 

Good luck and I hope to see you on the forums🍀☺️

Judi9877

Hi @LouisianaM !

Awesome work seeking support through these forums!

Ive lived with BPD for over a decade now. I've had a BPD ride of a lifetime which I am very grateful for - both the ups and downs.

As for your question, it really depends on your interests. For me, I tend to keep busy with going for walks, reading, going out to shops, having coffee. I have learnt strategies to cope with thoughts developing into impulses so my impulses are much less severe and less frequent. 

Where do your interests lie? Come join us at Raising Awareness of BPD - Flipping the Script . We would love to have you. The BPD journey is absolutely amazing.

BPDSurvivor

Thanks for the tag @Judi9877 @Former-Member !

hi @LouisianaM and welcome
@Sans911 is quite good with coping mechanisms and wondered if she might be able to give you some suggestions
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance