cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life After Bushfires

Fizz
Bushfire Community Ambassador

Another news article which may be of interest/help

"Residents on the New South Wales South Coast are starting to rebuild their lives physically, emotionally and financially after the Currowan bushfire.Despite saving his house, he said he had paid a heavy emotional price."

"Lot's of people ask me if I would do the same thing again and absolutely, yes," Mr Miller said.

"I wasn't scared of the fire, but in the months after, I got quite depressed and I was in pretty bad shape.

"I meditated and exercised and did some therapy but I wasn't getting better, I was getting worse — and that was the price of that night."

The whole article can be found here: 
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-26/currowan-bushfire-survivors-rebuilding-a-year-after-black-sum...

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Another news article which may be of interest/help

Thanks @Fizz  great article 

People here are still receiving counselling and support 2 years on from the Bunyip State Forrest Fire.

It's so important to receive that support and help. Too many Australians don't get the support they need after such tragic events (for many reasons) but it's so important. 

Sometimes we all need reminding that accepting that help and support is not a weakness but a strength 

completely agree @Shazi55 about "we all need reminding that accepting that help and support is not a weakness but a strength"  just wish it was part of everyone's natural instinct but sadly it's not 

Absolutely @Shazi55!! It can be so hard to accept help! I'm wondering if anyone here have any ideas on what might make it easier to accept that help when you need it? What might make you more likely to accept it?

@TideisTurning I reckon it's about breaking down the stigma around accepting help that people seem to have. The only answer I have is the more it is openly discussed and normalised the easy it will be going forward in situations that people will be happy to have the help and support 

Hi @Fizz @TideisTurning 

I think that by continually keeping up a public dialogue on why help is out there and why it's been considered a priority to provide it. By providing everyday peoples testimony on how it has helped and how it helps will help normalise and create acceptance of people to seek out that help and support 

💯

New to the

Life After Bushfires Forum?

Chat to people

who have been through it

Register To Connect

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Life After Bushfire Resources: